Monday, January 11, 2010

Early Bird Race Report, Sophia

Before the race there were two clinics to go to; one for juniors and for adults, and one just for juniors. The one for juniors and adults I found more helpful than the one just for juniors. In the one for juniors we went over stopping and starting and clipping in. In the other one we went over pace-lining. After these clinics I had my dad lower the seat height of my bike and fix my gears that kept switching. Then we went on trainers for half an hour before the race. Ten minutes before the race we went to line up and I got a spot in the second row. Luckily, this race didn't count at all and the mentors were there to help us through-out the race.
The race official let the younger kids go first and then we all started after that. The mentor that was closest to me had me work with a few kids that were much slower than me and I couldn't catch up to the lead pack. After a while I was getting upset about how slow I was going (and because we had another mentor that was helping) he looked at my expression and told me to follow him to break away for the kids we were with. By this time we had been passed by the main pack and I was still upset but I followed him. I was working with him basically all the way and sometimes I took a pull. Eventually another group consisting of one of my brothers and 2 other racers passed us and I held on for as long as I could (10 seconds at the most) then I was dropped again. I eventually lapped the kid that I was "working" with at the beginning and I did pretty well. After the race there was a debriefing about what happened during the race. Overall on a new bike and the first race of the season I think that I did not great but okay.
Thanks for reading,
Sophia

No comments: