Monday, January 11, 2010

Early Bird Race Report, Stuart

Before the race there were two clinics. One for adults and juniors, and one just for juniors. I did them both. Afterwards I started to warm up with my teammates Robbie, Robert, Sophia, and Stefan. When I was riding the course it seemed pretty easy, but I did not know how long I was going to ride. Then after I was done riding the course we got out the trainers and started riding for about 30 minutes and then waited for the race to start.
At the start there was about 30 juniors (18 and under) there. We had to line up younger people in the front and faster people in the back. We a minute or so head start from the older people. It did not take long for them to pass us.
In the middle of the race I was in a group of three with a mentor. We would switch off taking the lead in our line. Then after awhile I tried to breakaway but they caught me again. So then I was back in my little pack. We got lapped once from the older people.
At the end at the last corner it was a dead on sprint. I was still tired from my breakaway attempt. My pack went ahead and beat me. After I finished we were instructed to go into a parking lot and discuss the juniors race with the mentors.
I learned to breakaway that you need to be strong enough to hold the lead and not have them catch you back.
Thanks for reading,
Stuart

No comments: