Saturday, June 12, 2010

Connor Race Report: Mokelumne River Challenge

Race Report:

Swim 1k
The swim was okay. I could have trained A LOT harder though. I wore my tri-suit and a wetsuit top over that. I wish I would have just worn the tri suit because the wetsuit was making it harder to move my arms. the water was a lot warmer then I thought it would be as well. I came out of the water around 7th place and in about 20 minutes.

Run 5k
I took the run too easy because I wasn’t sure what to expect for the paddle part still to come. I ran at a decent pace and moved up to 4th place. I think my run was somewhere around 21 minutes.

paddle-7 miles
I winged it on the paddle. I had never gone that far on a kayak before, and I wasn’t sure what it would be like. I was on a white water kayak instead of a flat water kayak, which made navigating a lot harder. I got passed by one person after another and it seemed like I would never make it to the turn around point. Eventually I did, and then I got passed by a lot more people on the way back too. My hands started to blister which only made things worse.

I wish that I would have gone out harder on the run. I took it easy because I wasn’t sure if running hard would make me too tired to kayak. I also wish that I had trained for the swim (the farthest I have swam was 800 yards and that was labor day of 09).

My overall time was 2 hours and 27 minutes and I got 3rd in my age group. (My age group was 15-17 and the winner was 17 and his birthday was tomorrow!) After talking to some other competitors, we agreed that, next year, the run should be farther and the paddle should be shorter.

Connor Phillips

No comments: